- Caries – appear as different shaped areas of radiolucency in the crowns or necks of teeth.
- Peridontioiditis – when inflammation extends into the underlying alveolar bone and there is a loss of attachment.
Extraction of teeth (eg. wisdom teeth)
- OPG shows angulation, shape of roots, size and shape of crown, effect on other teeth.
OPGs are used by Dentists to provide information on
- Impacted wisdom teeth.
- Periodontal bone loss.
- Finding the source of dental pain.
- Assessment for the placement of dental implants.
- Orthodontic assessment.